VdA is the first Portuguese law firm devoted to Aerospace Law, having acquired solid expertise in this area.
Today’s aerospace challenges require specialised legal advice that understand the industry, the technology, the regulatory environment and the key players. The experience of our Aerospace team helps clients with significant, complex and sophisticated aerospace legal and strategic issues.
VdA - a member of IAF (International Astronautical Federation) - has been advising several players, including in African countries in their path to space, as well as operators and regulators in space matters.
VdA’s aerospace team has significant know-how in aerospace-related matters and in the sector, as well as in international policies in this area, providing high quality legal advice that is tailored to the client’s needs, including:
- Drafting national space laws
- Drafting space policies and strategies
- Drafting and negotiating contracts for constructions of satellites and ground stations, provision of services, sale and purchase, space insurance, financing, capacity leasing, among others
- Advising on public contracts: administrative contracts, public tenders, pre-contractual proceedings
- Negotiating partnerships and memoranda of understanding between governments and/or private entities
- Advising on regulatory matters, international spectrum management and on orbital and frequency allocation
- Advising on licensing of ground stations
- Consulting on issues related to Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, UAVs, including on the use of airspace, spectrum, image collection, privacy and insurance
VdA has a long standing experience in other sectors and areas of great relevance to aerospace matters, such as:
- Emerging and Information Technologies
- Cybersecurity and Cyberdefense
- Privacy and Data Protection
- M&A, Banking and Tax
- Competition & EU
- Mediation and Arbitration
- Financing Matters, including Portugal 2020 and Horizon 2020